sched_ule performance on single CPU

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Sat Apr 19 11:01:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 09:53:13PM -0700, Unga wrote:
> I have noted early April that RELENG_7 is upgraded to
> sched_ule by default and gave it a try with sched_ule
> until today. My desktop is a 3GHz single Intel Pentium
> 4 processor with 512MB RAM. I have noted by desktop
> response wise sched_4bsd is better, ie. the desktop is
> more responsive.
>
> It just noted today the version of the sched_ule.c on
> RELENG_7 is 1.214.2.2 dated 2007/12/20 and the current
> version on the CVS is 1.240 dated 2008/04/04.
>
> Since the FreeBSD 7.1 is planned to be released with
> sched_ule by default, why don't you guys sync the
> sched_ule.c with current so that more users like me
> who run FreeBSD 7.X (RELENG_7) can give more feedback?

There was a commit to the ULE code in RELENG_7 approximately 6 hours ago
by Jeff, indicating some speed improvements in ULE when there's heavy
IRQ activity, and adjustments in the timeslicing code for threads which
don't utilise timesharing:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/kern/sched_ule.c

Can you update your src-all tree to pull this in, rebuild the kernel,
and tell us if it behaves better for you?