php5 and postgresql 8.2/8.3

Jim Pingle lists at pingle.org
Thu Apr 17 15:55:17 UTC 2008

Claus Guttesen wrote:
>>  I have installed php5 with support for postgresql (php5-pgsql). If I
>>  install postgresql-client ver. 8.2.7 or 8.3.x apache (httpd)
>>  core-dumps. If I install postgresql-client 8.1.11 or 8.2.6 apache does
>>  not core-dump.
>>
>>  I have confirmed that it's postgresql which makes apache core dump by
>>  commenting out pgsql.so in /usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini. This -
>>  off-course - prevents me from connecting to my db. :-/
>>
>>  Apache is ver. 1.3.41 from ports with no changes to the default-values
>>  during portinstall. PHP is ver. 5.2.5_1.
>
> Replying to myself (and others :-) ). When compiling php5 statically
> with postgresql-support apache no longer core dumps. I added
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--with-pgsql to /usr/ports/lang/php5/Makefile.

Not sure if this would make much of a difference in your case, but have you
tried moving the line for pgsql.so up higher in extensions.ini?

I haven't had any trouble with PostgreSQL's PHP extension, but I have with
plenty of others (MySQL, recode, imap, sockets, and pspell) when the
extensions were not in a specific order.

I've documented the issue here:
http://www.pingle.org/2006/10/18/php-crashes-extensions
http://www.pingle.org/2007/09/22/php-crashes-extensions-workaround

More info can be found in the archives as well.

If that does alleviate your problem, let me know and I'll add notes for
pgsql.so to my workaround.

Jim