why does my apache-worker broke after upgrade to 6_3_RELEASE?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 17 02:27:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 05:21:14AM +0300, Anton - Valqk wrote:
> well,
> well,
> well.....
> FreeBSD Errata Notice FreeBSD-EN-08:01.libpthread
> is this connected to my problem with apache2-worker?
> I think so.

Your problem (re: kse_exit()) is very likely unrelated to this.  Did you
read the errata notice in full, specifically Section III?

=====
III. Impact

After the fork(2) system returns, the newly created child process may
freeze in user space for no apparent reason.  This affects any threaded
application that invokes fork(2), most frequently those that call
fork(2) before execve(2) or system(3) to run external programs.
=====

On the other hand, this erratum very likely explains the problems people
are having with Nagios.

> now.... you simply can't know what will happen on next update to
> 'STABLE'.... and no bin packages (unlike debian).
> If this continues, it won't take me long to migrate to debian, despite I
> don't want to, but I want to have a nice deep sleep, no alarms in the
> middle of the night....

There are most definitely binary packages for FreeBSD.  I really don't
know where you got the idea there weren't.

And I do hope you enjoy Debian (I say that sincerely).  Use whatever OS
meets your needs/requirements; if it's not FreeBSD, then that's cool
too.  Blind advocacy is rarely good...