File descriptor passing broken in FreeBSD 7?

Heiko Wundram modelnine at modelnine.org
Wed Apr 16 14:12:46 UTC 2008

Am Mittwoch, 16. April 2008 14:09:18 schrieb Philip Murray:
> I recently tried to use the newly released mod_rails
> (www.modrails.com) for Apache, and discovered it doesn't work on
> FreeBSD 7.  It does however work on FreeBSD 6 just fine.
>
> I tracked it down to sendmsg() as detailed here:
>
> 	http://code.google.com/p/phusion-passenger/issues/detail?id=16
>
> The mod_rails/passenger unit tests fail on FD passing, as do the Ruby
> 1.8.6 standard unit tests. They all fail with EBADF
>
> I've also tried this test case (with minor appropriate changes to file
> paths etc.)
>
> 	http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/code/test-descriptor-passing.c
>
> Again it works in FreeBSD 6, but not in FreeBSD 7 (albeit with
> ECONNREFUSED not EBADF).
>

> Any ideas?

Works fine on 7.0-STABLE from end of last week (i.e., doesn't core-dump, and
outputs the contents of test-descriptor-passing.c, to which I adapted the
filename).

uname -a:

FreeBSD phoenix.modelnine.org 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #2: Fri Apr 11
13:46:16 CEST 2008     root at phoenix.modelnine.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HEIKO
i386

I ran the program as an unprivileged user.

--
Heiko Wundram