sched_ule performance on single CPU

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Fri Apr 11 12:12:33 UTC 2008

> What I refer is, when quickly open multiple tabs (7 or
> 8) in firefox and click on the fist tab to type user
> id while other tabs still downloading, its seems there
> is a minor yet noticeable delay that I did not
> experience with sched_4bsd.

Ah, O.K. - havent noticed that, and it wouldnt bother me
really. What I found is that if you are doing a 'make buildworld'
in a window then you can't really use firefox properly
at all using 4BSD, but you can with ULE. For that I am
happy to put up with minor delays - overally it's a lot
more usable.

> To me, its seems there is no noticeable gain with
> sched_ule, but rather the desktop is bit slow to
> respond.

Try the compiling experiment and see if you get the same effect
as I did. For me it;s a bit win, because I couldnt use the
desktop when I was compiling code. Swingd and roundabouts
though - if you dont od big comiles then it may seem theres no
benifit for you.

-pete.