aaccli on recent conrollers?

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Tue Apr 8 14:58:37 UTC 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Ed Maste wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 11:42:40AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
>
>> I have just built a new SunFire X4100 server with an Adaptec 2230SLP
>> RAID card using FreeBSD 6.2-PRE kernel (from September 20).
>> Everything is working extremely well except I cannot run the aaccli
>> utility on this controller.
>
> Have a look at arcconf (sysutils/arcconf) -- it's Adaptec's newer tool
> and should support both older and newer firmware; aaccli stopped
> working
> as of a certain version and I think Adaptec has no plans to work on it
> any longer.  If you really want to use aaccli, you can downgrade the
> firmware on the new card -- of course, you'll have to use arcconf to
> do
> that step.

Wow... what a blast from the past.

I've since decided that the Adaptec + Dell array solution was
completely sub-standard performance and stability and management
wise.  It has been replaced with an external RAID array from Partners
Data systems and connected to the same Sun box via an LSI fibre
channel card.  It is faster and much easier to manage.

I will not be buying Adaptec parts any more since they obviously don't
give a hoot about freebsd, where as LSI goes out of their way to
provide engineers to help out with freebsd issues.  It is important
for us as a community to show support where support is due.