USB loses devices

Joakim Fogelberg joafog.lists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 22:17:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Martin <nakal at web.de> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  I have some annoying problems with USB support on i386 and amd64. The
>  controller deactivates devices sometimes. This is often the keyboard or
>  mouse while I'm using Xorg. All LEDs and the power is off on the
>  affected device when the problem occurs.
>
>  Usually I don't get any messages about it in syslog, but this time I
>  was away at the phone for an hour and some messages appeared.
>
>  usb6: host controller process error
>
>  After detaching and reattaching my mouse, I also got something that
>  looked like:
>
>  uhub6: device problem (TIMEOUT) ...
>
>  That was on amd64. Usually reattaching helps to re-enable the devices,
>  but this time it was totally broken.
>
>  I don't know the exact message, because I restarted the PC to get my
>  mouse working again and I've seen it accidentally.
>
>  On i386 I'm losing a Cherry G83 keyboard and Logitech mouse (both USB)
>  attached to a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p. On amd64 platform I have a
>  Logitech G5 Laser mouse that uses a USB port. This is nothing exotic,
>  in my opinion, so I suppose that more people than me must know this
>  problem.
>
>  I'm using -STABLE on both platforms. I've had this problem already when
>  I installed the PRERELEASES of 7.0.
>
>  moused is off, because I had problems with X recently that are
>  well-known and already discussed here. I don't know how to describe it
>  further.
>
>  Anyone else with USB problems here?

i386, 7.0 (and PRERELEASE of 7.0), Xorg and Logitech G5 Laser mouse.

I have seen the same, or a similar, problem with my mouse a few, maybe
5, times this year. One time I had to reattach the mouse to another
usb port, and I believe I had a similar error message (host controller
process error). The other times I only had to detach and reattach the
mouse in the same usb port.

I have not been able to reproduce the problems.

--

Joakim Fogelberg