NTP on amd74 + powernow issues

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 6 18:03:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 05:24:07PM +0200, Guido van Rooij wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 03:58:03AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> > > Nope:
> > > kern.timecounter.choice: TSC(800) i8254(0) dummy(-1000000)
> > >
> > > IIRC I couldn't boot at all with acpi, so I disabled it.
> >
> > ACPI-fast should address the problem you're seeing with NTP drift.
> >
> > It would then be best to figure out why your machine won't boot with
> > ACPI enabled.
>
> This lead to a panic as is described here:
> http://bsd.haofood.net/2005/11/21/work-around-for-busted-rs-acpi-long/
>
> The panic occurs because a \0 is in the namespace. It was suggested
> to fix the problem by overwriting \0 with X or _ when loading the
> acpi tables.
>
> This has not been fixed and there is no bios update for the motherboard...

Ouch.  Seems MSI should really be addressing this with a BIOS update,
but I don't know of any technical contacts at MSI who could help with
this.

I realise it's probably in violation of the ACPI spec (re: MSI's fault),
but other OSes probably have similar workarounds.

Nate and/or John, is there any chance of getting a patch in for this,
epsecially since it was reported over 2 years ago?