Q&A on textdumps (fwd)

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Apr 3 14:22:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:51:52 +0200
Volker <volker at vwsoft.com> wrote:

> while the system is experiencing a panic, it does not have any knowledge
> about filesystems and also does not know about the GELI swap space anymore.
>
> In this situation the geli encrypted swap will be overwritten by a dump
> (either minidump or the classical one). When the system boots up again,
> it will check $dumpdev for a dump and save it to $savecore before geli
> swap is brought up again.
>
> Or in short: geli backed swap should not do you any harm.

Hi Volker,
That is what I had thought. But I clearly remember, back in 6.x the dump would be written to swap, then on restart, geli would kick in before savedump , therefore obliterating anything saved from the previous session.

I will need to retest this...luckily 7-STABLE has been rock solid and haven't experienced many crashes.

btw, how do I trigger a panic manually? :D

cheers,

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

   Sir Winston Churchill