lpd connection lost problems

Holger Kipp hk at alogis.com
Wed Apr 2 11:50:45 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have a vanilla FreeBSD 7.0 GENERIC system that is only serving as
print server using lpd, which occasionally outputs 'connection lost'
messages similar to this:

Apr  1 16:18:13 fbsdprint1 lpd[2219]: Error receiving job from server.that.prints:
Apr  1 16:18:13 fbsdprint1 lpd[2219]: printer48: lost connection

A corresponding error is then sent back to server.that.prints which I'd like
to avoid.

So is there a way to force lpd to store all printjobs before sending to the
printer? And how can I find out what is causing these lost connection messages
in the first place?
tcpdump does not really help me here.

printer is a HP4350 with network interface etc.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Holger Kipp