S-ATA DVD drive problems

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 2 09:45:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 11:12:44AM +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have severe problems with my optical drive(s) support.
> The drive is on an ICH9 in AHCI mode.
>
> I tested different writers, all show the same problem.
> When the system boots with a CD in the drive or if I mount the acd0 device
> I see acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x05
> or:
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_DVD_STRUCTURE ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x30 ascq=0x02
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_BUFFER ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00

Are the errors harmful?  Historically these errors haven't been.  You
state later "burncd doesn't work, but cdrecord does".  The errors appear
to indicate that certain ATAPI commands are being rejected by your drive
(or possibly due to the physical medium inserted in it).

I'd try Googling for "freebsd sata ILLEGAL REQUEST" and see for
yourself.

Linux's kernel reports similar errors, though in a different way, since
they use an ATA-to-SATA conversion driver for hard disks and CDROMs:

> When I mount the drive with /dev/cdX (atapicam) I don't see any error!

Possibly atapicam(4) isn't using those ATA commands, or is hiding the
errors from you.