/var with capacity -1%

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 2 08:17:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:12:30AM +0200, Ingeborg Hellemo wrote:
> ~/#fsck  /dev/da0s1d
> ** /dev/da0s1d (NO WRITE)
> ** Last Mounted on /var
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
> SALVAGE? no
>
> 275 files, 7699 used, 2549244 free (596 frags, 318581 blocks, 0.0%
> fragmentation)
>
> After reboot to single mode and fsck -y we are back to a more normal state:
>
> ~/>df /var
> Filesystem  1K-blocks  Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/da0s1d   5077038 14448 4656428     0%    /var
>
> But shouldn't I have been notified of this error during previous reboots?

Did you have any recent crashes, panics, or anything that could (even
remotely) cause filesystem inconsistencies?

If not, then the best explanation is then bit rot, or bad hardware
causing corruption of data.  Jeff Bonwick wrote a blog entry about
this kind of problem:

http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/entry/zfs_end_to_end_data

I suppose there could be a bug in FFS, but I would expect a
significantly larger number of users to be reporting this...