Progress with usability of AMD64

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Sep 28 07:19:33 PDT 2007

On Sep 27, 2007, at 8:22 PM, Greg Black wrote:

> Since we're close to a new release, I'm wondering what experience
> people
> have had recently with running in 64-bit mode.  Are most of those
> broken
> ports now fixed?  Or is there some magic that allows building of just
> the broken ones in 32-bit mode such that they'll run on a 64-bit box?

In practice, I have exactly one port I need in 64-bit that is not
functional, and that is because it is a binary-only distribution of
the Adaptec command line utility.  No other software I've tried has
failed to build or run on 6.2/amd64.  My list of software is purely
server stuff; I don't use any FreeBSD desktops.