BIND 9.3.1 - How to get rid of AAAA querys?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Sep 17 16:22:45 PDT 2007

> > I have been running IPv6 on all of my FreeBSD work systems for
> > years. All of my mail (including this message) are sent/received by IPv6
> > and I have not had any problems, but I am on a network that is fully
> > IPv6 enabled, so no tunnels are involved.
>
> That's good to know. I have one box on the live internet (mail.twisted.org.uk
> )
> which is runnign 6.2-STABLE and using 6to4 to provide IPv6 to those whowant i
> t. Some of our outgoing mail gets delivered over IPv6, but none of our
> incomming does. However it does seem to behave itself.
>
> > I do know that there will be a major re-write of IPv6 support in V7 to
> > integrate the KAME code into the rest of the network as KAME is not
> > longer separately developed. I'm not sure how this will impact things,
>
> That was going to be the next point where I tested it (when V7 comes
> out). My home machine works more-or-less ine using IPv6 on 6to4,
> with the only problems being when ftping large files to/from twisted.org.uk
> which show a random disconnect after 10-20 minutes of transfer.
>
> My bigger problem is trying to distribute my IPv6 address to machines
> behind the single box which faces the outside world (as thats what IPv6
> is good for right ? No more NAT?). These boxes work in so far as they
> can all see and ping IPv6 addresses and make and receive TCP connections.
> But if, for example, I make a TCP connection to www.kame.net then I get
> the first chuink of data but then a freeze for a long period of time before
> the rest of the data arrives. This does not happen from the direct machine,
> it sees all the data at once.

	I suspect that ICMP messages are being filtered causing PTMU
	discover to rely on timeouts rather than error messages.

	I'm amazed that people still filter ICMP.  It is a integral
	part of IP and really should not be filtered.

	Yes I know why people started filtering ICMP.  However the
	filter should be for directed broadcasts not ICMP.