Question regarding Intel ICH7 motherboard and integrated RAID controller

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Sat Sep 15 19:52:43 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 08:19:28PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 06:36 PM 9/15/2007, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> >I'm not all that interested in using it as a RAID adapter.  I am, however,
> >interested in using it as a disk adapter, as a way to both spread load AND
> >benefit from its cache memory.
>
> Can you not turn off the RAID feature in the BIOS so that the SATA
> ports work just as SATA disks ?
>
>         ---Mike

It is off.

On the BIOS probe it just shows up as a disk; I tried it as a "JBOD" single
disk and also with the RAID feature shut off entirely, so its just a disk
adapter according to the BIOS.

If there's a disk plugged into it, with all the fancy-schmancy RAID stuff
turned off, it blows up BTX instantly when I hit "F1" to boot from the
first disk.  It is, in that configuration, the FIFTH disk (and has no
partitions on it - so its not a matter of it trying to boot Winblows or
something like that)

I can't get a dump easily since of course it happens right from the boot
process, so there's nowhere for it to dump TO.

Is there something that I can do (e.g. what registers/info would help if I
wrote them down?) since it would have to literally be transcribed
manually.....

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org		Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!