BIND 9.3.1 - How to get rid of AAAA querys?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Sep 13 16:15:35 PDT 2007

> Andreas Pettersson wrote:
> > Mark Andrews wrote:
> >> 	Why don't you go the other way and get yourself IPv6
> >> 	connectivity.  You do realise that you will require it to
> >> 	reach many sites in about 3 years time as they will be IPv6
> >> 	only
> >
> > For almost 10 years I've heard discussions about the successor to IPv4,
> > but from my point of view (may differ from others..) not much has
> > happened. Of course, I can imagine that when the wheel starts rolling
> > for real things might change quickly. 3 years may prove to be correct,
> > but are there any clear signs pointing in this direction?
>
> The proponents of IPv6 have claimed growing real-world deployment for
> the last several years.  There is yet no significant commercial
> deployment--the real world still runs on IPv4.
>
> The mitigating factors are IPv4 address space pressure and global
> routing problems.  Every time enough people start crying about too
> little IPv4 address space left, IANA reassigns more reserved space into
> the allocation pool and those fussing grow quiet.  As for global
> routing, it can be summed as: it ain't broken enough, yet.  It's going
> to be years before there is a real, sustained pressure to migrate
> significant portions of the commercial internet into IPv6 space and
> years more for enough key-player migration to drag the rest of the
> commercial world with it.
>
> The academic and research portions of the internet are not the driving
> force.  Convince MSN, AOL, Yahoo, Comcast, $BIG_NATIONAL_ISP, etc. to
> deploy IPv6 and we'll get wide-spread global IPv6 deployment overnight.
>
> I'll put it this way: When my Linksys WRT54G supports IPv6 on both sides
> of the router, IPv6 will have reached commercial viability.  Until then,
> it's a research exercise.

	Apple's Airport enables IPv6 support by default today.  If
	you plug it in and you have a IPv6 enabled host it will get
	a globally addressable IPv6 address.

	There are roughly 3 billion unicast IPv4 addresses.  We need
	to address more than 3 billion machines.  Even with NAT and
	double NAT we will run out of address.

	DOCCIS 3.0 does its management over IPv6.  The big cable
	providers are moving to IPv6 today even if they arn't
	supplying IPv6 to the customers yet.

	Mark