problems with 'periodic' in 4.11 p-24

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Thu Sep 13 05:27:44 PDT 2007

On or about Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 06:25 , while attempting a
Zarathustra emulation Luke Hollins thus spake:

> Can you post your crontab? Maybe one line has the username twice .

Boy - that was the hint that helped me find the problem.

How I did this I do not know, but the /etc/crontab was
duplicated in /var/cron/tabs/root.

That was why the 'root: not found' message occured as the
normal cron doesn't use that.

I still don't know how I did this - particularly after admining
FreeBSD systems since 1995.

Maybe I did it in my sleep.

But thanks for the comment as that put me on the correct track.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com