BIND 9.3.1 - How to get rid of AAAA querys?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Sep 12 15:00:51 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 12 September 2007, Andreas Pettersson wrote:
> When looking in the querylog for BIND 9.3.1 running on FreeBSD 5.4,
> almost every other log entry specifies an AAAA query. The only client
> is localhost. I see no reason right now to have BIND wasting resources
> on IPv6 requests, so I added
>
> named_flags="-4"
>
> to rc.conf and restarted named. Sockstat tells me named is listening
> only on udp4 and tcp4, but I still get lots of AAAA entries in the
> querylog:
> What can I do to get rid of these?

Change your resolver.  The name*server* can nothing do about what the
*client* asks of them.  The fact that you connect to a nameserver via
IPv4 says nothing about what kind of queries you want to send to it.  At
the moment you can't change the behavior of the resolver in libc and (as
far as I know) that of the isc implementation either.  There has been a
discussion to provide a environment variable to emit only IPv4 queries,
though.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org