7.0-BETA1 freeze using portmaster

Robert Marella rmarella at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:23:03 PDT 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:05:06 -0700 (PDT)
Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Robert Marella wrote:
>
> > Aloha
> >
> > [robert at p4] ~> uname -a
> > FreeBSD p4.konav201.local 7.0-BETA1 FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1 #2: Mon Oct 29
> > 07:58:19 HST 2007     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
> >
> > This was a fresh install of 7 from a couple of months ago when it
> > was -current. I have been updating
>
> src, ports, or both?

It was a clean install. I backed up my data and did a new install from
a snapshot iso. I reinstalled all 3rd party software from ports.

> > at least weekly since then. I csup'd and did the buildworld/kernel
> > thing this past Friday. At that time I change from the generic
> > kernel to a generic using -ULE.
>
> Assuming that you're now tracking RELENG_7, and assuming that you
> installed the new kernel and world, did you clean out all the old
> libraries and includes from before the branch?

See above

> > When updating the ports over the weekend using "portmaster -a -u"
> > the
>
> This isn't really relevant to your question, but I'd like to point
> out that I think people are using the -u flag a lot more than they
> really need to. Under normal circumstances once you're past the 'make
> config' stage and the ports start actually compiling there won't be
> any interaction required. In fact, now that the OPTIONS framework is
> fixed if you already have options files for the ports you have
> installed, and those options haven't changed, you won't even get
> those screens to deal with.

Noted

> > system would freeze at "Creating a backup package for old version
> > pkg-glob". Where pkg-glob is whatever was being updated at the time
> > of course.
>
> What happens if you just run 'pkg_create -b <portname
> from /var/db/pkg>'? I strongly suspect that this is a problem with
> your pkg_create binary, since that's all portmaster is doing in that
> spot. If the pkg_create command failed then you would see an error
> message and portmaster would exit.

Okay, I just did that from my /root directory and it worked.

p4# ls -l
total 8528

drwx------  2 root  wheel      512 Oct  9 11:46 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel      512 Oct  8 19:31 bin
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  8668867 Oct 30 07:07 python25-2.5.1.tbz
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      184 Oct 12 08:18 supfile.os

> hth,
>
> Doug

Thank you for responding. Does this mean that I alone am experiencing
this problem?

One other thing, I replaced my video card last week with an NVIDIA
card. I installed the nvidia port which brought in linux ports and
compat5x. Could this have messed up my libraries?

Robert