rrdtool performance tuning (fwd)

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 30 05:58:01 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:13:09AM +0300, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> any hints to tune rrdtool with ~30k rrd files (approx 2k target devices)?
>
> machine is mostly IO-bound, showing 100% disk load with 8 or sometimes even 3
> mB/s, 300-400 tps (it's 2 SATA300 disks in gmirror)

Ideas:

1) Stop using rrdtool?  This comment is somewhat in jest -- sometimes
you can't avoid using it because it's part of something like cricket,
cacti, etc., but simultaneously, rrdtool is quite atrocious as far as
softwares go.  I think it's popular because MRTG has a long-standing
track record, thus Tobi's software is well-known.

2) Consider alternative software such as:

* http://torrus.org/
* http://www.dynw.com/iog/
* A suite/library on Sourceforge somewhere which I cannot remember the
  name of, but acted as a data-over-time storage/graphing/plotting
  alternative to RRDtool.  The name of the program was 3 letters, and
  we used to have a port for it, and may still, if I could remember
  the name of it.
* Write your own (consider using SVG-based data, which you hand a web
  browser, and let the browser render the results)

3) Consider load balancing the polling (distributing the polling tasks
across 2-4 boxes, then store the results on an NFS share)