RELENG_7 jerky mouse and skipping sound

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 17 22:50:35 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 12:28:30PM -0400, Anish Mistry wrote:
> I just updated to RELENG_7 from 6.2 and I'm running into some really
> annoying issues with jerky mouse movement and skipping sound.  This
> seems to be similar to:
> Re: SCHED_4BSD in RELENG_7 disturbs workflow
> This happens both with 4BSD and ULE.
>
> I seems to happen when I'm compiling ports and a new cc/bzip2/sh
> process fires off (I'm just watching top), I'll get the
> skip/freezeup.

[...]

Using ULE and UP kernel (i.e. without SMP etc.) helped a bit the things
but it's still very annoying to use firefox during ports build.  I see
this lag/freeze on all boxes I use with 7.0, but it's true that with a
fast machine people can ignore the problem, it's less obvious than with
a 1GHz box for example.

--
Marc