Reproducable, possibly NFS related, fatal double fault in 6.2-R-p7

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 16 13:32:56 PDT 2007

Clifton Royston wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 01:01:46PM -0700, Chris H. wrote:
>> excerpt from this list titled: NFS == lock && reboot, that I posted follows:
>>
>> ------8<---SNIP---8<-----SNIP-----8<-------
>> # uname -a
>> FreeBSD host.domain.tld 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 26
>> 16:27:14 PST 2007
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Does anyone know when NFS and friends will be working again? I haven't
>> been able
>> to /safely/ use it from 4.8 on. I remember some talk on the list
>> sometime ago and
>> then it seemed to be resolved, as the discussion ended. So I thought it was
>> fixed. Seems not. :(
>>
>> My scenario;
>> mount host off root:
>> mount script exec'd follows...
>>
>> #!/bin/sh -
>> mount -t nfs host.domain.tld:/ /host
>> mount -t nfs host.domain.tld:/var /host/var
>>
>> confirm mount...
>>
>> # ls /host
>> .snap    COPYRIGHT    bin
>> usr    var    tmp
>>
>> OK looks good...
>>
>> # cp /path/to/approx/10Mb/file /host/path/to/dest/dir/
>>
>> Fatal double fault
>> eis 0x0blah
>> eiblah blah0x
>> panic double fault
>> no dump device defined
>> rebooting in 15sec...
>>
>> Hmmm... that's not good. :(
>>
>> ------8<---SNIP---8<-----SNIP-----8<-------
>>
>> My final solution was to change the lines in /etc/rc.conf
>> from:
>> nfs_client_enable="YES"
>> nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
>> nfs_server_enable="YES"
>> rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
>> rpc_statd_enable="YES"
>> rpcbind_enable="YES"
>>
>> to:
>> nfs_client_enable="YES"
>> nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
>> nfs_server_enable="YES"
>> #rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
>> #rpc_statd_enable="YES"
>> rpcbind_enable="YES"
>>
>> Making those changes ended the "Fatal double fault && reboot in 15
>> seconds..."
>
>   Thanks for this very timely mention!  The cluster of servers I am
> about to upgrade from 4.8 <embarrassed cough> to 6.2 relies heavily on
> NFS to an old Netapp.  If I have got to disable rpc_lockd and
> rpc_statd, it's good to know that now!
>
>   Can I ask, can anybody confirm that they're running 6.2 on NFS
> successfully *with* lockd and statd?

Er, yes, of course it does.  The old message he is quoting is bogus on
its own, I don't know if he ever was able to provide meaningful traces
but it may well be nve as in the upthread discussion.

Kris