Also seeing 2 x quad-core system slower that 2 x dual core

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Fri Nov 30 08:55:26 PST 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 05:59:26AM +0100, Claus Guttesen wrote:
> > Thing is that GENERIC as installed out of the box should not take two minutes
> > to delete a gig of files off a 15k RPM SAS drive! especially not
> > when identical hardware with half the number of processor cores only takes
> > eleven seconds to do the same job. Something is wrong somewhere if doubling
> > your CPU's results in a factor of 12 slowdown surely?
>
> Is it possible to disable one of the quad-core cpu's from bios? I have
> a couple of DL360's myself but I haven't had the need to disable one
> of the cpu's.
>
> If so it could be interesting to see whether the specific task goes
> slower/faster.

  I'd also try *removing* some RAM from the quad-core CPU system, to
bring it down to the same level as the other system, and make sure
there isn't some kind of chipset/motherboard/BIOS issue when 16GB is
populated.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net