Also seeing 2 x quad-core system slower that 2 x dual core

Matt Reimer mattjreimer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 11:06:12 PST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 10:58 AM, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Pete French wrote:
> > On the dual core processors this takes about 20 seconds. On the quad
> > cores it takes about 3 minutes! This is true for both the 32 and 64 bit
> > versions of FreeBSD :-(
>
> That almost certainly has nothing to do with how many CPUs your system
> has, since rm -rf is a single process running on a single core.

I wonder if I'm seeing this too. Running super-smack on a 2 x quad
core 1.6GHz Dell 1950 I get about 40000 qps, whereas on a 2 x dual
core 3.0GHz box I've seen 80000 qps. Is this expected?

Matt

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5310  @ 1.60GHz (1595.94-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6f7  Stepping = 7
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x4e33d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,DCA>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  Cores per package: 4
usable memory = 8577105920 (8179 MB)
avail memory  = 8289787904 (7905 MB)

----

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5160  @ 3.00GHz (3000.02-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6f6  Stepping = 6
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x4e3bd<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,<b15>,DCA>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  Cores per package: 2
usable memory = 17170817024 (16375 MB)