questionable feature- rcvar woes

Andrei Kolu antik at bsd.ee
Wed Nov 28 12:06:01 PST 2007

Wednesday 28 November 2007 21:55:44 kirjutas Trond Endrestøl:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:37+0100, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 November 2007 20:16:51 Andrei Kolu wrote:
> > > 1) Disable powerd in rc.conf- comment it out.
> > > # enable_powerd="YES"
> > > 2) Stop powerd
> > > # /etc/rc.d/powerd stop
> > > ...silence- nothing in logs either.
> >
> > Stop for a moment - enable_powerd means actually 'enable action carried
> > by /etc/rc.d/powerd script', using this semantics actually explains all
> > details. Or you could treat it as a stack of a sort, reversing order to
> > 2) 1) just produces desired output.
>
> /etc/rc.d/powerd forcestop
>
> will execute the stop code regardless of the rcvar in /etc/rc.conf or
> similar files.
>
> rc.subr(8) is your friend, or perhaps not.

I know rcvar well enough and that force* feature too, what I don't like is
that sometimes from command line you'll never know if it is a problem with
wrong line in rc.conf or something else... Of course it is good if during
boot there is no useless messages scrolling. So, rcvar can't detect if it was
launched bye rc or from shell?