installation problems of FreeBSD 7 beta 2 on Dell D610 (multiboot con solaris, linux, winxp)

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Wed Nov 28 08:48:54 PST 2007

"Julian H. Stacey" wrote:

> > Stefano & stable@
> > I saw similar installing 7.0-BETA3 on my Digital HiHote Ultra
> ..
> > I'll look for right syntax. eg maybe hw.ata.ata_dma=0 etc starting
> > in my http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#loader.conf
>
> Safe mode (Hit Key 3 after it asks for boot floppy 2nd time
> 	(Im using floppy as my cd drive doesnt like my cd-rw media, just cd-r)
> This sets hw.ata.ata_dma to 0, with this my laptop is now in middle
> of a minimal install, reading distrib via a pcmcia ep0 ethernet.

Although that enables disk writes, Pcmcia ep0 runs slow, 23KB/s, timing
out & install has died repeatedly.  I tried reducing commands used in
	bootsafekey of /sys/boot/forth/beastie.4th:
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#bootsafekey
By avoiding `3' & just using
	set hw.ata.ata_dma
	boot
Still its a slow 23K. Still ep0 dies. Install fails.

--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.