amrd disk performance drop after running under high load

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 23 02:55:57 PST 2007

Alexey Popov wrote:

>>> I just ran into this myself, and apparently it can be caused by
>>> "Patrol Reads" where the adapter periodically scans the disks to look
>>> for media errors.  You can turn this off using -stopPR with the
>>> megarc gg port.
>> Oops, -disPR is the correct command to disable, -stopPR just halts a
>> PR event in progress.
> Wow! Really disabling Patrol Reads solves the problem. Thank you!
>
> I have many amrd's and all of them appear to have Patrol Reads enabled
> by default. But the problem happenes only on three of them. Is this a
> hardware problem?

I am not sure, maybe for some reason the patrol reads are not
interfering with other disk I/O so much (e.g. the hardware prioritises
them differently or something).

Anyway, glad to hear it was resolved.

Kris