Weird issue with DELL PE2850

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Tue Nov 20 01:09:39 PST 2007

Hi,

I'm experiencing strange problem with PE2850 - CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM)
CPU 3.20GHz (3192.23-MHz K8-class CPU)
It's a dual processor (with HT) server and worked very well with freebsd
6.2,
before few days I updated one of ours pe2850 to see how will 6.3
perform, and the first think that I notice
is a freeze for few minutes during boot.

Everything is ok till the following lines are displayed:
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
2-5min freeze
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/amrd0s1a
I saw the same thing on other pe2850 with 7-BETA2, and I'm pretty sure
that both servers
didn't have such problems with earlier versions of 7-current and 6.2-stable.

I'm running amd64 on both servers.
on 6.3 hyperthreading is disabled and on 7b2 is enabled.
I have CPUTYPE?=nocona in /etc/make.conf

Any ideas where to dig and how to debug?
Can someone else confirm this?
I'm sure pe2850 is/was very popular server ;)

--

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev