FreeBSD 6.3 or FreeBSD 7.0

S.N.Grigoriev serguey-grigoriev at yandex.ru
Fri Nov 16 09:30:38 PST 2007

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:31:19 +0000 (GMT)
Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> I feel that the 7.0 kernel will prove to be one of our most stable,
> not to mention most performant, .0 releases to date.

Unfortunately, that's not true. For example, parallel printing
crashes my amd64 system since the beginning of May. I've posted
PR (kern/116669) which is still open. Some other people have
reported about similar problems.

To my mind it's a stopper defect for 7.0 because parallel
printing is one of the basic computer tasks. FreeBSD was one
of the best print servers for years. But at present it cannot
be used in such a role (at least on amd64).

Regards,
Serguey.