Upgrading from FreeBSD 5.4 to 5.5 STABLE

Nic Reveles Nic.Reveles at gatech.edu
Mon Nov 12 19:32:09 PST 2007

Hello,

I am trying to update my version of FreeBSD from 5.4 to 5.5-STABLE.  This is one of the many things I've yet to get my feet wet with yet, and so I'm not entirely sure what it is I am doing.  I've made a backup of my most critical work.

Some links I've found describing this process:
1. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
2. http://www.nabble.com/Upgrading-FreeBSD-Questions-t4716949.html

So far I've run cvsup with a line in it:
*default tag=RELENG_5_5_0_RELEASE

After a long time it said that it finished successfully.  Regardless, I'm not sure if the line I used is correct to get 5.5 STABLE.

Then I ran:
%  make buildworld

===> gnu/usr.bin/cvs/contrib
sed -e 's, at CSH@,/bin/csh,' -e 's at PERL@,/usr/bin/perl,' /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs/contrib/../../../../contrib/cvs/contrib/Makefile.in > Makefile
"Makefile", line 15: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Stop in usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.
*** Error code 1

Stop in usr/src/gnu.
*** Error code 1

Stop in usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in usr/src.

Unfortunately, I typed all that out by hand and so it is quite possible there is a typo or two, but that is the general jist of it all.  Is there someone who knows what is going on with this?  All answers/tips are greatly appreciated!

Nic R.