Source upgrade from 5.5 to 6.X not safe?

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 12 17:53:24 PST 2007

On 11/11/2007, [LoN]Kamikaze <LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de> wrote:

> If a binary/library that is currently used gets removed/replaced, it will be
> copied to memory. The process will not even recognize this. Only restarting
> the process will remove the old version from memory and cause the new one to
> be used. I thought every OS did it like that, so I'm surprised that there are
> systems causing problems in this case.

Wha, when did that happen? I was always under the impression that
binaries/libraries were demand paged in and referenced as a VM object
via VFS; you could unlink/rename the file and the currently open
reference would still be valid.

(Admittedly I looked at this last in 4.x VFS.)

Doing a rename-replace-unlink shouldn't clobber existing binaries that
are using the library. Doing an -overwrite- of the existing file will
cause exciting results. man install. :)

Adrian

Adrian Chadd - adrian at freebsd.org