Ok, so now what? Binary upgrade to 6.2-RELEASE fails

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Sun Nov 11 11:56:53 PST 2007

Quoting Clint Olsen <clint.olsen at gmail.com>:

> On Nov 11, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>> Any chance you could post some of these error messages?  And if possible,
>> backtraces, etc?
>
> The messages amounted to page fault while in kernel mode or similar.  The
> problem is the system attempts to reboot itself within 15 seconds.  I know
> there is a way to postpone that, but how do I get more information from the
> crash other than the screen dump?  I know in some crash instances it's
> possible to get a kernel image dump, but I've never seen this as far as I
> know.

It's as simple as making your swap slice available for dumping, and adding a
line in your rc.conf file. Of course you'll need to "lift" the information of
interest from the vmcore, for the dump to be of any value. :)

Further reading/details can easily be obtained at the following links:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html#KERNELDEBUG-OBTAIN
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

It's really a simple process.

Best wishes.