Boot-time pass for geli on 7.0-BETA2 (and RELENG_7) not working for me.

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Wed Nov 7 07:28:57 PST 2007

>> What kind of passphrase do you use? I had the same "problem" until I
>> realized, that my passphrase contained a letter, which changed its
>> "position" on the keyboard when changing layout, during boot it is still
>> the US-layout. Later it changed to de in my case (no problem to attach
>> geli device later).
>>
>> Just a hint.
>
> Hmm, thanks for the tip. I set the passphrase to 'a' now, and when I set
> 'kern.geom.eli.visible_passphrase=1' I see that the 'a' is typed as
> expected. When I type more characters though, not all of them are
> printed, only about half of them.
>
> I did read about problems with SMP, and have set kern.geom.eli.threads=1
> in loader.conf, but still no go.

I also found somewhere that there was/is also a problem with passphrase
entry when you have kbdmux enabled in the kernel.

However, removing it did not fix it for me. Because I am booting from a
USB thumbdrive which has my key on it, and the thumbdrive is removed
after boot, I just went without a passphrse.

Steve