Understanding libpthread.so.2 undef reference error....

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 5 14:39:19 PST 2007

Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 11:43:32 +0100
> Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>>> I don't ever remember getting this error before. I am pretty sure i'm using only binaries built on this machine for 7.0... have I missed anything? what's the cause of this error?
>>>
>>> FWIW, I have compat6x installed
>> You missed the "portupgrade -fa" step of the upgrade from 6.x to 7.x.
>> Those errors come from binaries linked to both 6.x and 7.x libraries.
>
> Hi Kris,
> thanks for the explanation. I don't think I did that, as this is a 100% clean install of 7,but maybe I bungled it somewhere.
>
> is there a way to know what is cross linked? should I get rid of compat6x?

Well in that case you managed to somehow install a 6.x binary on there
(not compat6x), which is now being linked to 7.0 binaries (this should
never happen in a correctly functioning system).  Either rerun
portupgrade -fa, or use pkg_which on the binaries and libraries that are
giving problems to try and track down which need to be reinstalled.

Kris