[FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1 and beyound] Rescue environment is non-functional on AMD64/Intel64

Andrei Kolu antik at bsd.ee
Mon Nov 5 12:39:57 PST 2007

Monday 05 November 2007 11:22:30 kirjutas Stefan Lambrev:
> Hi,
>
> Andrei Kolu wrote:
> > After some experimenting with BETA1/1.5 or whatever it is I encountered
> > serious problems:
> >
> > 1. Emergency shell on tty3 is useless- not a single command is available.
>
> This is install CD not fixit CD. On istall CD emergency shell becomes
> useful once you actually install those commands.

Install what? How, where? Why emergency shell works on snapshot release and
not on beta? To me this is a BIG ***** BUG not a feature.

> > 2. When tried to use installcd as livecd is asked me to insert livecd
> > (there is plenty of free space available on installcd- why not use that
> > usefully?).
>
> BETA ISOs are smaller only because packages are not included, and they
> will be included for FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE.
>
> > I am positive I was able to use emergency shell and livecd function on
> > CURRENT september snapsot just fine (i386 version though).
>
> Yes you can use it and now after the install process is started.

I don't want to start install process, I want to restore bootloader.

# boot0cfg -B ad0

And now I have to download 500+MB to do things I did without any problem for
years?!

Sry, I am pissed off...