6.2: maillog grows, newsyslog's misbehaving ?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue May 29 21:41:11 UTC 2007

At 1:08 PM +0200 5/28/07, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>Hi,
>
>discovered that the maillog file on my freebsd Desktop
>grows and grows (now at 50MB).
>
>According to the newsyslog.conf file it should be trimmed
>every night at midnight.
>
>/var/log/maillog                        640  7     *    @T00  JC
>
>Is it a prerequisite, that the system then runs 24x7 so
>that the newsyslog default settings work ?

As mentioned in the man page for newsyslog.conf :

	If a time is specified, the log file will only be trimmed if
	newsyslog(8) is run within one hour of the specified time.

You could force a rotate by running newsyslog yourself:

	/usr/sbin/newsyslog -F /var/log/maillog

but that would be a one-time fix.

There is a startup file for newsyslog in /etc/rc.d which runs the
program one-time at startup.  You could set an alternate value
for the variable 'newsyslog_flags' in your /etc/rc.conf file, and
use that to do the checks you want at startup.  This would probably
mean creating a duplicate newsyslog.conf file.

So, to answer your question:  Yes, the default settings for
newsyslog.conf do assume that your system is running 24x7.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu