updating xorg-libraries 7.2 to 7.2.1

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun May 27 17:08:04 UTC 2007

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:

>> Josh Paetzel wrote:

>>     sh /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/mergebase.sh
>>
>> before proceeding to install whatever ports you want.

> My experience is that simply having the symlink /usr/X11R6->/usr/local
> is totally sufficient.
>
> However it seems to me that what the port building procedure should now
> do is the following:
>
> * if /usr/X11R6 exists as a directory, it should issue an error message
> like it does now.
>
> * if /usr/X11R6 doesn't yet exist, silently create the symlink.
>
> This will mirror how it used to behave, in that if /usr/local or
> /usr/X11R6 did not exist, they would be created as needed.

Oh, agreed to that.  However, there are still more changes needed
beyond that:

Stopping the system running periodic jobs from /usr/X11R6/etc/periodic

Stopping the system running startup scripts from /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d

Stopping the system searching for manpages from /usr/X11R6/man

The last is fairly trivial, but realise that the first two mean that
with the /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/local link in place all
/usr/local/etc/periodic jobs would get run twice, and even more
importantly all /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ startup scripts would also run
twice.

Until there are new system releases incorporating the necessary changes
in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/defaults/periodic.conf it will be
necessary to override some of the default settings.  In /etc/rc.conf:

   local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"

In /etc/periodic.conf:

   local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic"

and for completeness sake, comment out the 'X11R6' lines in
/etc/manpath.conf

	Cheers,

	Matthew

- --