xorg 7.2 start problem

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Fri May 25 22:55:28 UTC 2007

On Friday 25 May 2007 13:54:04 Oliver Fromme wrote:
> JoaoBR wrote:
>  > Roland Smith wrote:
>  > > It didn't. All the drivers were in one huge package, the X server. Now
>  > > they are in seperate ports. But the xorg or xorgs-drivers meta-ports
>  > > should install all of them.
>  >
>  > ok, that is what I ment, the better way would be that portupgrade
>  > installs them all as before (when they were in the package)
>
> That's exactly what happens when you install the xorg meta
> port (as explained in the UPDATING instructions).

ok but the meta port is what the name says and probably not interesting for
everybody like kde3 meta port, same thing, big big big

>  > > Tools like portupgrade and portmaster and even the ports system are
>  > > great but they have their limitations. I think they are kept
>  > > relatively simple for a reason. It's much better to have a simple
>  > > (maintainable) tool that does 95% of the jobs well than to build an
>  > > extremely complicated ACME contraption that can cover all the corner
>  > > cases and oddball situations. It's just not worth the effort.
>  >
>  > I agree and totally understandable but when there is a big change
>  > involved then it would be wise to advise more clearly what is happening
>  > from within the upgrade process because almost nobody reads the files
>
> I think that's wrong.  Almost everybody reads UPDATING.
> Those who don't start threads on one of the mailing lists.

may be or may be not, what I want to say is that when something was ever a
certain way then a sudden change need to be better adviced, especially long
before the change in fact occurres.

Same as a power out, you are used to having power so when interrupted without
previous advice you may not agree. Or your street is twoway, suddenly they
change it into oneway and exactly the contrary direction you are used to
leave your house each morning.

So you crash into a car i bet you are not wanting to hear : oh silly you
haven't read the sign? and more I guess you sure will sue the city and held
them responsible because they did not advice you properly in time.

And that is exactly the same thing with xorg, ipfw,  /etc or anything which we
got used to.  And I tell you, each time in my live I typed X11R6 I thought
jeee, who might have invented this thing. Anyway, still so, you can not move
it away without publishing it over and over anywhere to prevent this shit to
happened. And especially not moving before you are sure the migration really
works. Xorg is too big and too important and especially too much needed in
our daily work.

Knowing this all creates responsibility for whom dares to change the port and
this guy need to be prepared to hear anything and to help everybody but not
calling us stupid shitheads which do not read the book

>  > other ports do it for less and a message like local base has changed you
>  > need to edit your xorg.conf or something would do good here
>
> If someone refused to read UPDATING, then why would he
> not ignore a message that scrolls through the screen at
> some point?
>
> As others have already stated, there are very detailed
> instructions in /usr/port/UPDATING.  You should not
> blindly update your ports without looking at that file.

well well ... but the xorg advice even following step by step does not work
and let you still with "fixed not found" and X dead ... and no need to ask
grrrreeing for script logs because there is no error

Also this updating advice is kind of vage and incorrect and the sequence is
wrong. Even if Kris gets pissed off again UPDATING is wrong:

"...try moving aside  your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and allow X to auto-create it"

because it does not autocreate but use defaults

... it suggest to do portupgrade -Rf libXft which obviously upgrades xorg but
does not install the meta port

... it tells to run script xorg-upgrade but this xorg-upgrade does not exist
either

and at the end it does not really explain anything what happens and it seems
to be exactly what it is starting with: welcome to a mystical journey ... or
better get fucked ... or get yourself a backup computer because you will be
48 hours without X ... :)

so please dont tell me to read something what does not work as it should ...

and then what ? everybody calling us silly stupids because we do not read,
nice deal, yup,  I like that, I really love it

so then, imagin how much people do not have any chance to solve this
problem: "fixed not found" and they do not claim, eventually they ask
something but get RTFM back, so they step back

so, and now?

IMO before some sends me reading the manual I ask him to write a good one but
not some crap what does not work either

well then, what Roland wrote about worth and effort I agree, that is almost
exactly like things work - but under normal conditions. A complete path
migration of a port old and big as xorg need something better

even cvsup must be envolved here, ldconfig, login.conf and a lot of other
things which might cause troubles later. That is not solved by Kris's
solution overwriting rc.conf default's local_startup in rc.conf

My vote here is that this xorg wamp is a rampage and was bad planned  and that
is not blaming people, dear Kris, this is simply a fact. You got us cold with
or without reading.

so and if some still reads, here is my suggestion which certainly also is not
100% but at least it ran on our branch on 200 machines this night and all
woke up with X running

you can save it in a file, chmod +x and execute it as root and if you have
luck it does the whole thing, eventually you need to check after if there are
still some ports which need attention

you also should run afterwards something as

find /etc/ -type f -exec grep -l -i "X11R6" {} \;

to see where else the old path name is involved and change manually to what
you want or need until covered by a releng update or whatever

###
set BATCH=yes
portsnap fetch
portsnap update
cp -Rpn /usr/X11R6/* /usr/local/
rm -R /usr/X11R6
ln -s /usr/local /usr/X11R6
pkg_delete -f xorg\*
portinstall -fkP xorg
portupgrade -fP `portversion -v | grep \< | awk '{print $1}'`
sed -i '' -e 's/usr\/X11R6/usr\/local/g' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/usr\/X11R6/usr\/local/g' /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
sed -i '' -e 's/\/usr\/X11R6\/bin//g' /etc/login.conf
cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/\/usr\/X11R6\/bin//g'  /root/.cshrc
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/bin//g'  /root/.profile
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/etc\/rc\.d//g'  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/lib//g'  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/lib\/aout//g'  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/libdata\/ldconfig//g'  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/libdata\/ldconfig32//g'  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
cd /home
find . -name \.cshrc -exec sed -i '' -e 's/\/usr\/X11R6\/bin//g' {} \;
find . -name \.profile -exec sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/bin//g' {} \;
#reboot
###

--

João