OT: In defense of a GUI (was: atapicam, blah, blah)

Robert Marella rmarella at gmail.com
Fri May 25 20:40:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007 22:02:13 +0200
Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 09:46:35AM -1000, Robert Marella wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:30:00 +0200 (CEST)
> > Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> >

> > > By the way, I am _not_ using k3b or any other krap.  ;-)
> > >
> > > Best regards
> > >    Oliver
> > >
> > What is Krap to one can be Komfort to another. ;-)
> >
> > I assist a photographer fiend by maintaining her computers, network
> > and doing backups. Being a photographer in Hawaii means she shoots
> > about 200 weddings a year.
> >
> > A typical month will run from 80GB to over 200GB depending upon the
> > time of year and other factors. After about 3 months I will archive
> > the projects to DVD. I make two copies of each DVD so that they can
> > be kept in different locations. Some weddings and other projects
> > will be 20GB or more. Trying to divide these projects over the
> > fewest number of DVDs is quite easy with K3B because I can add or
> > subtract individual files as needed to fill the DVD to the maximum.
> >
> > If someone knows an easy way to do this on the command line I would
> > be more than willing to try it.
>
> dirsplit (http://freshmeat.net/projects/dirsplit/) will do the trick
> nicely.
>
> Roland

Roland

Thanks for the reply. Mea culpa, I failed to mention that the
individual file cannot be spread over different media. After archiving
to DVD I than catalog the photos on a Windows machine using Portfolio.

My photographer will get calls years later from brides wanting a
certain picture or two. Using Portfolio she can call up the picture and
it will request the specific DVD be installed.

I am archiving photos that are in .jpg, .dng (digital negative), .crw
(canon raw), etc. Some of the .dng files are 26MB each and the .jpg are
between 5 and 8MB each. I guess the brides like the details (bigger
must be better) ;-)

I did google dirsplit and I did not see if you are able to maintain
file integrity.

As I said earlier, K3B is a very good tool for my purposes.

Thanks
Robert