ghosthunting: machine freeze 6.2R

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Wed May 23 09:28:01 UTC 2007

On 05/23/07 09:17, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Roger Miranda wrote:
>  > Volker wrote:
>  > > [...]
>  > > I've attached the latest dmesg, can you see any similarities (as it
>  > > still might be a hardware issue)?
>  > [...]
>  > Our current version is: FreeBSD  6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0
>  >
>  > Looks like you are also using the EM network adapter driver.  We are
>  > suspecting the driver or Network adapters them self.  Our other boxes are
>  > using xl0 (3com) and are working fine.
>
> The em(4) driver has received quite a few updates lately,
> and I think some of them have been MFCed to RELENG_6 since
> 6.2-RELEASE.  I don't use any em(4) interfaces myself
> (I prefer bge(4) and others), so I'm not sure if there's
> any relationship with your trouble, but I suggest you try
> updating to the latest 6-stable (RELENG_6) code.
>
> (Or even give 7-current a try if you have a spare disk for
> installation so you can quickly swap it back with 6.x if
> any show-stoppers arise.  In general I don't recommend
> installing 7-current on production machines, though.)

Oliver,

thanks for your hints. I haven't monitored RELENG_6 for em changes.

If the problem remains (today no freeze occurred) I'll go -STABLE on
that machine and see if it solves the issues. Currently I'm watching
this machine over the distance and waiting for the freeze... I'm
unable to check -CURRENT on it (it's 24x7 production and remote and
both is a 'don't do it').

Volker