ghosthunting: machine freeze 6.2R

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Tue May 22 15:53:58 UTC 2007

On 05/22/07 17:18, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Volker wrote:
>
>> My first thought is a hardware problem but why does it occur that less
>> and only in the morning? My next thought is a DoS attack
>> (CVE-2007-0244?) but can that lead into a machine freeze?
>
> When in the morning? If it's around 3-4 am, that's when the (often
> hardware intensive) default cron jobs kick in.

No, it's not cron (perdiodic daily/security) related. It appears
sometime between 7 and 11 am (CEST). That would be too easy.
Probably it's too early to see similarities as it's just on two days
in a row.

Tomorrow I'll have a hub at that location and can watch traffic
using a 2nd bsd machine. Let's see, if that leads to any strange
traffic.