RTC clock doesn't generate interrupts

Victor Balada Diaz victor at bsdes.net
Sun May 20 19:38:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 05:11:23AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2007-May-20 18:26:30 +0200, Victor Balada Diaz <victor at bsdes.net> wrote:
> >I have a server with FreeBSD 6.2 that is not generating RTC IRQs.
> >When the system boots everything it's working fine and I get 128
> >interrupts per second but after a few hours the system starts
> >losing RTC interrupts. If I enable powerd it happens much faster
> >than without it.
>
> The RTC has a "feature" that if you ever lose an RTC interrupt
> (because the interrupt handler wasn't called fast enough), you don't
> get any more interrupts because the RTC knows it has an interrupt
> pending and so doesn't generate any more interrupts.
>
> I have also bumped into this problem whilst trying to work around
> a problem with a TurionX2 CPU.  I just got the correct fix to work
> and ignored the work-around.
>
> I did find that you can restart the RTC interrupts by setting
> machdep.adjkerntz (you can leave the value the same, it's the
> assignment that's important).

Thanks for your fast reply!

I tried the machdep.adjkerntz trick and didn't work very well.
If i'm on 0 irqs per second after changing the value i get 1
irq per second. If i'm on 20 i get 21, and so on.

Do you know of any other workaround/patch that i can try?

--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.