mfs and buildworlds on the SunFire x4600

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Tue May 15 21:39:32 UTC 2007

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Mars G. Miro wrote:
> > now we know buildworld on mfs dont really matter on high-end machines,
>
> No, we knew that before.  I could have told you.  :-)
>
> That was the first thing I tested when I first had access
> to a machine with sufficient RAM, about 10 years ago.
> I put /usr/src on an MFS disk, ran buildworld, and was
> disappointed.

I'm not intimately familiar with the build process, but I reckon it
reads several small files several times (ie, they are cached) runs a CPU
bound process, then writes a few bigger files once (objects and
binaries).

Not a good MFS test scenario, indeed.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
"The trouble with the dictionary is you have to know how the word is
spelled before you can look it up to see how it is spelled."