UNIX domain sockets MFC's

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 12 10:13:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:

>> The speed improvements associated with these MFC's is minor; primarily they
>> are stability improvements under high load.  There are major performance
>> improvements in the 7.x implementation, especially for multi-core systems,
>> but I have no current plans to MFC them, as they interact with other system
>> components and may depend on other changes that also haven't been MFC'd.
>
> Thanks for clearing this up.
>
> How safe is using 7.0 for MySQL server now?

As Mark has mentioned, you don't want to use -CURRENT for anything
production-oriented.  While 7-CURRENT has been a remarkably unbumpy ride,
especially given the scope of the changes made (ZFS, SMP scalability, etc), I
wouldn't run any production services on it until it becomes 7-STABLE later
this year.

However, if you have a high volume workload that you want to work really well
with 7.x, and you can do testing, now would be a really good time to start
doing that.  Almost all major feature changes are now present in the 7-CURRENT
branch, so the next four months are all about getting it into shape for the
7.0 release.  Even if it panics on the first day you run a test workload
against it, submit a bug report and keep with it until it runs perfectly.
:-)  The way development branches become stable branches is that people who
care about making it happen test the new release until they're happy with it,
reporting bugs, fixing bugs, etc, so any help you can provide would be greatly
appreciated!

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge