clock problem

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue May 8 17:33:58 UTC 2007

On May 8, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Martin Dieringer wrote:
>> Oliver Fromme wrote:
>>> Are you sure that your /etc/ntp.conf ist correct?
>>
>> # cat /etc/ntp.conf
>>
>> server time.fu-berlin.de iburst maxpoll 9
>> driftfile /var/db/ntp.drift
>> logfile /var/log/ntpd
>
> You must add "restrict" lines for every server and for
> localhost, like these:
>
> restrict time.fu-berlin.de nomodify
> restrict 127.0.0.1

Why?

That really makes no sense to me whatsoever.

> Other than that, the config looks good.  There's no need
> to add further time servers.

The time adjustment algorithms of NTP make use of multiple time
sources.  NTP works best with having at least three reachable
servers.  Of course ntp is designed to keep good time even when you
are disconnected from the net, but it builds up its data from
multiple sources and using triangulation to correct for errors.

Cheers,

-j