AMD Turion X2 problems -- Major lag issues

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri May 4 16:57:16 UTC 2007

In message: <1178292910.8865.4.camel at isao.ota.homelinux.net>
            Russell Doucette <ota at animenfo.com> writes:
: Hi,
:
: I have a gateway MX3410 laptop, and when I try to install, sysinstall
: hangs or has unimaginable lag time, and then my laptop just sends out
: this constant system beep at me.  Is there a problem with FreeBSD and
: AMD Turion CPUs?  I hear a few other people are having problems with
: various AMD chipsets, in particular Turions with the same exact problem.
:
: Is there a workaround or patch to installing FreeBSD on my Gateway (AMD
: Turion 64-x2 technology)?  Thanks.

My HP Pavilion dv5000 works:

CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 (1994.21-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x20f42  Stepping = 2
  Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
  Features2=0x1<SSE3>
  AMD Features=0xe2500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>

but I don't know if that's the 'X2' technology or not.  In fact, this
has worked great for me since a week or two after BSDcan last year.

Warner