freebsd-update problem (on 6.2)

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 28 19:36:46 UTC 2007

Don O'Neil wrote:
>    Can I use freebsd-update to update from 6.1-STABLE-200608 to the latest
> version? When I try to run the program it says its not compatible... Is
> there a way to force it to update anyway

Only by editing the freebsd-update script or by modifying uname(1).

> and is there any reason I would
> NOT want to force it?

In general it's a bad idea, since FreeBSD Update looks at what files you had
installed from the old release and whether you've modified any of them in
order to decide how to upgrade to the new release.  If you confuse
freebsd-update enough to convince it to upgrade your non-supported installation,
it's likely to overwrite modified configuration files or not update files.

> I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get my machine updated, which
> was installed from a snapshot ISO, without having to do a buildworld.

There isn't any good solution here, yet.  I might add support for the snapshot
ISOs at some point (at least for upgrading to/from them -- there will not be
security updates built for them).

Colin Percival