Looking for users of IPX over IP tunneling (fwd)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 28 00:05:49 UTC 2007

Please reply privately to this e-mail if you are using IPX over IP tunneling.
See below for details.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:08:30 +0100 (BST)
From: Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org>
To: net at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: Looking for users of IPX over IP tunneling

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Robert Watson wrote:

> Over the next couple of weeks, I will be reviewing the set of non-MPSAFE
> network stack components in preparation for a status update to the arch@
> mailing list.  One of the remaining components that requires Giant is the IPX
> over IP tunneling facility (ipx_ip).  I'd like to solicit users of this
> facility, if any, to work with me in testing locking patches I'm currently
> developing against FreeBSD 7.x.
>
> I'm actually not entirely convinced this feature works, so would also like to
> hear from users of IPX over IP tunneling for this reason.  I've found a
> couple of bugs that would result in improper error messages being returned,
> etc. There's also a comment in the NOTES file that this feature is "not
> available".

Still looking for IPX over IP users.  Please let me know if you use IPX over IP
tunneling support, and/or if you would be able to test MPSAFEty patches on 6.x
or 7.x.  The other easy route here is to remove IPX over IP tunnel support from
7.0 and then reintroduce it if testers are found in the future, but such
scenarios generally don't lead to feature re-introduction, so if this is a
feature you care about, then please get in touch with me.  :-)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge