another error with md malloc based fs

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Mar 23 17:25:51 UTC 2007

Kevin Oberman wrote:
 > I thought the warning in the man page was adequate (until 7.0 changes
 > the default to swap backed), but, at least in Michael's case, I guess I
 > was wrong. I guess the man page need to somehow make it clear that the
 > memory used by malloc backed mds is a very limited resource.

I think it's not necessarily only the language barrier,
but the fact that not everyone is familiar with technical
terms and details.  I guess that many people don't know
what "swap-backed" means exactly.  I also think that the
name "malloc" is badly chosen in that context ...  even
a (userland) programmer might confuse it with malloc(3),
which is quite a different thing.

Best regards
   Oliver

"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs
would delete themselves upon execution."
        -- Robert Sewell