Migrating from x86 (32) to amd64

Yoshihiro Ota ota at j.email.ne.jp
Sat Mar 10 08:32:34 UTC 2007

About one year ago, I was able to do the regular procedure after enabling i386 compat.  It was just another make world for me.

options         COMPAT_IA32

What I mean is:

#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `make delete-old'
#  9.  `mergemaster'
# 10.  `reboot'

There are some risks doing this way, though.

Regards,
Hiro